WITTERING PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Second Meeting of the 2016/2017 Parish Council held at 7.30 pm on 25th August 2016 in the Wittering Bowls’ Club Pavilion
Richard Roffe (Chairman)
Officer Commanding Support Wing
Mr M Davies, Community Devt Officer, RAF Wittering
Three Members of the Wittering Action Group
Deirdre McCumiskey, Clerk to the Council
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were apologies for absence from Roger Paull.
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Simon Hurn declared an interest in his on-going work for the Parish Council.
3. POLICE MATTERS
It was agreed to invite Richard Taylor, CCTV ANPR Lead Co-ordinator, Police Support Volunteers to a future meeting.
4. MINUTES of the Annual General Meeting of the 2016/2017 Parish Council held on 2nd June 2016 were reviewed, approved unanimously and signed by the Chairman
Proposed by:- Sharon Polden Seconded by:- James Russell
5. MATTERS ARISING
i) Wittering A1 Flyover Campaign Group
The proposed meeting of the Wittering A1 Flyover Campaign Group due to take place on 20th September 2016 in London has been postponed and a new date will be arranged as soon as possible.
ii) Dropped Kerbs
A request for a dropped kerb outside 20 Church Road was added to the list already submitted to Peterborough City Council. Diane Lamb will follow this up. Thanks for the dropped kerbs that have already been installed had been received from local disabled people.
There has been no further progress with this as Cambridgeshire County Council has to wait until it has sufficient funds to carry out the required work.
iv) Pot Holes
Although an attempt had been made to repair the pot holes, they are now in bad condition again. Diane Lamb will follow this up.
v) Solar Panels
Geoff Dunkley had spoken to Wittering Primary School who had confirmed that the solar panels on the School Roof were providing an extra source of income. It was agreed that solar panels will be considered when the new Parish Hall Roof is installed.
The list from 1st June – 24th August 2016 was reviewed and discussed.
i) Statement and Bank Reconciliation at 31st July 2016 was reviewed and approved unanimously as presented.
Proposed by:- John Bradshaw
Seconded by:- Geoff Dunkley
The Chairman said that yearly grants to the Wittering Allotment Tenants, Wittering Bowls’ Club, Wittering Football Club and Wittering Sports & Social Club needed to be discussed.
After some discussion, it was agreed that the Wittering Allotment Tenants would get a quotation for purchasing a strimmer and it will be arranged for the fence to be repaired; Wittering Bowls’ Club would get a quotation for purchasing a sprayer and vacuum shredder; Wittering Football Club will be asked what they need and Wittering Sports & Social Club will get a quotation for a fridge. This was proposed by James Russell, seconded by Simon Hurn and agreed by all present.
8. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Mr D Hughes, Chairman and the two Members of Wittering Action Group present gave a comprehensive update on all the meetings, activities and future plans of the Wittering Action Group regarding the Planning Application – 16/01361 Land to the south of Lawrence Road (Residential Development comprising 190 dwellings with associated access roads and landscaping) following the Public Meeting held on 9th August 2016. The Chairman thanked them for all their hard work and commitment.
Planning Application – 16/01361 Land to the south of Lawrence Road, Wittering (Residential Development comprising 190 dwellings with associated access roads and landscaping). After a long discussion, the Parish Councillors agreed to object to the Planning Application, the main concerns being:-
• The increased amount of traffic through the village (both contractors’ vehicles during the building of the development and new residents’ vehicles) using roads that are already inadequate for the current amount of traffic in terms of their poor condition and where cars being parked on both sides of the road are causing safety issues.
• Access to the development from the A1 and A47. There are already fears about the number of vehicles turning right across the A1 Southbound which is a potentially dangerous junction and takes up to 30 minutes to cross in peak times and the substandard condition of the Old Oundle Road from the A47 into the village. There are currently no definite plans/timescales for the much needed A1 Flyover.
• The extra strain on the infrastructure which already struggles to cope with the surface drainage and the sewerage system already.
• The increased demand for places at Wittering Primary School which currently has some classes at full capacity already. If children have to be bussed to other local schools, there will be more traffic crossing the A1. There will also be an increased demand for health services provision at the local GP Surgeries in the area.
• The impact on the village and village life. Wittering residents have chosen to benefit from the peace and quiet of living in a small village rather than a busy town. The loss of the natural open countryside views would be lost forever to the detriment of current residents and for future generations.
• There are already sufficient two and three bedroom properties in the village whilst there is a lack of four and five bedroom properties. The proposed development does not propose to include many four and five bedroom properties.
The Clerk will draft a letter to be finalised by the Chairman before sending it off to the Planning Department at Peterborough City Council.
Geoff Dunkley reported a faulty street light in Lawrence Road. He will give the street light number to the Clerk so that she can report to Peterborough City Council.
John Bradshaw requested a Rubbish Bin is installed on the dog walking area near to the A1. Simon Hurn has a rubbish bin available (purchased for the War Memorial Garden but not required) and he agreed to install it in the revised location.
John Bradshaw asked what is happening about the gas storage facility in Boxer Road. The Officer Commanding Support Wing agreed to try and get it removed and also to repair the damaged manhole in Boxer Road.
James Russell mentioned a recent incident when a RAF vehicle had undertaken a U-Turn on the A1 and damaged a bollard. A short discussion took place as to whether the right hand turn from the A1 south in Wittering will eventually be closed.
Mr M Davies invited Parish Councillors to the Official Opening of the Youth Crop-in Centre on 1st September 2016. He confirmed that the Official Opening of the Community Learning Centre will take place in late September 2016.
It was noted that plans are already in hand for Remembrance Sunday.
10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The Third Meeting of the 2016/2017 Parish Council will take place on 20th October 2016 at 7.30 pm in the Wittering Bowls’ Club Pavilion.
There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.50 pm
SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 20/10/16